Significant Dates in Burnside's History

Boltons historic pic4.jpg

1838

VILLAGE OF MAKGILL(MAGILL) subdivided and offered for sale.

1839

THE ANDERSON FAMILY from SCOTLAND establishes a farm next to Second Creek. They are Burnside's first official settlers and call their farm Burnside.

1841

  • "WHEAL GAWLER" silver-lead mine begins operating at Glen Osmond. It is Australia's oldest mine.
  • TOLL - BAR on the Mount Barker road is established. The toll was abolished 6 years later.
  • WILLIAM PRESCOTT begins farming at Rose Park.

1844

  • DR. CHRISTOPHER PENFOLD acquires land at Magill and begins establishing a vineyard.
  • "KURRALTA"' one of Burnside's oldest and finest mansions, built by DR. WILLIAM WYAT

1846

Land is donated in Magill for the establishment of a public school.

1848

"BEAUMONT" is laid out and offered for sale by SIR SAMUEL DAVENPORT.

1850

One of Burnside's first cottages is built. Called "BRACKLYN" it is later enlarged and called "IVYMEAD". It still stands.

1853

The CLARK FAMILY acquires 45 acres and names the property "Hazelwood". part of this land is now Hazelwood Park.

1856

  • BURNSIDE, originally part of the DISTRICT COUNCIL OF EAST TORRENS, is proclaimed a district. Chairman of the council was DR. C.R. PENFOLD.
  • (Aug. 19) First council meeting held at the GREEN GATE INN on Greenhill Road.

1858

STONYFELL VINEYARDS are begun by HENRY CLARK.

1862

THOMAS COOPER begins brewing ale at LEABROOK.

1863

The BURNSIDE INN is built on High Street.

1867

STONYFELL QUARRY lease acquired by HENRY DUNSTAN.

1873

STONYFELL OLIVE OIL CO. founded.

1882

Foundation stone laid for the CLAYTON-WESLEY Church.

1886

BENNETT'S POTTERY established at Magill. Still operates on the same site.

1888

KENSINGTON OVAL acquired by the council.

1901

FOUNDATION STONE of the QUEEN VICTORIA HOSPITAL is laid by the DUKE OF CORNWALL

1922

TUSMORE PARK is purchased by the COUNCIL.

1926

PRESENT TOWN HALL and OFFICES are built.

1935

BURNSIDE is proclaimed a MUNICIPALITY.

1938

Last load of chaff sent out from PRESCOTT'S FARM in ROSE PARK.

1943

BURNSIDE proclaimed a CITY.

1961

BURNSIDE PUBLIC LIBRARY opens.

1966

GEORGE BOLTON SWIMMING CENTRE opens.

1973

BEAUMONT COMMON passes to the control of the Council.

1982

BURNSIDE COMMUNITY CENTRE opens next to the Library.

1992

Burnside Council launches its CUSTOMER SERVICE philosophy and initiatives.

1993

PENFOLD RESERVE at MAGILL opens.

1996

  • 140TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS
  • BALLROOM refurbished
  • BURNSIDE 2006 strategic plan launched
  • SWIMMING CENTRE redeveloped

1997

  • INTEGRATED WASTE STRATEGY implemented
  • GLENSIDE RETENTION BASIN opened
  • Local Government Reform Board decides Burnside will not be required to amalgamate with any adjoining council/s.

1999

  • SKYE and part of AULDANA merged.
  • Skye and those parts of Auldana not already part of Burnside are incorporated into the City of Burnside.

2000

  • BURNSIDE MILLENIUM PROJECT started.
  • Building starts on the new library and community facilities attached to the Town Hall. Stage one is completed in October 2000.

2001

  • Stage two of the library and community facilities is completed.
  • Coopers Brewery moves from its Leabrook site after 120 years.

2003

Richard Crabb, Burnside's City Engineer, retires after more than 40 years with the Burnside Council.

2004

In June a retirement village on the former Cooper's Brewery site opens.

2004/2005

Vision 2020. The City of Burnsides' Strategic planning process commences.