Magill Cemetery

Michael Mullan_9.06.11_282.jpg

The Magill Cemetery is owned by the City of Burnside, is 5639 square metres in size and bordered by Pepper St, Jackson St and Carey St, Magill.

History

Land for a chapel and burial ground were set aside for a cemetery at Magill when the area was subdivided in 1838 as 'The Village of Makgill' by two Scots who had met on board 'The Buffalo', Robert Cock and William Ferguson. The chapel did not eventuate on this site, but the cemetery did, and it is one of only two in Burnside (the other one is the Glen Osmond Anglican Cemetery attached to St Saviour's Church). In 1878 the land comprising the cemetery was donated to the Magill Methodist Church.

Some of those buried there include:

  • William Pitman (d 1878) who arrived in South Australia in 1840 and was a vine dresser at Crompton and Clark vineyards.
  • George Hunt (d 1874) father of the builder of Tranmere House.
  • Alexander Calderwood (d 1891) carpenter and wheelwright of Magill
  • Charles Bennett (d 1919) founder of Bennett's Pottery
  • Joseph Crompton (d 1901) a partner in the Stonyfell winery and founder of Crompton and Sons.
  • Joseph Gillard (d 1927) of Clarendon and Penfold's wineries, and founder of the Vignerons Association.
  • Thomas Pitman (d 1925) a builder, who erected the telegraph station at Darwin in 1872, and the transepts of the Kent Town Methodist Church.
  • Alexander Cock (d 1872) son of Robert Cock, one of the founders of Magill. Many other members of the Cock family are also buried at Magill.

The Magill Cemetery is now closed, except for those with leases and then in only limited circumstances.

Burial Plot Map

Download the Magill Cemetery Burial Plots 1989 Map(PDF, 4MB)

Magill Cemetery Columbarium Wall

A Columbarium (or Niche) Wall is a structure that contains niches, which hold a person’s cremated remains in an approved canister. Ashes must be enclosed and sealed in the approved canister and are placed in the niche which is then sealed; a commemorative plaque is secured to the niche.

A percentage of the income generated through the Columbarium Wall will assist with the management and governance of the Wall and interments; annual maintenance requirements on the wall, and fund regular maintenance and improvements of the Magill Cemetery site.

Eligibility is restricted to applicants whose most recent place of residence was within the City of Burnside Council area or those who have direct descendants interred in this cemetery.

The decision to allow cremated remains to be interred in the niche wall is at the exclusive discretion of the City of Burnside or the delegated officer. Niches cannot be reserved. Niches in the Columbarium Wall will be purchased based on availability and on the payment of the appropriate fee.

Council will allow a pre-purchase of a Niche location. In these circumstances the Grant will commence at the time of purchase.

For further information please contact James Brennan on 8366 4200 or burnside@burnside.sa.gov.au.

View the Magill Cemetery Columbarium Wall’s Operating Guidelines(PDF, 130KB)