Enrolling to Vote

Almost everyone over 18 living, owning or leasing property in a Council area can be eligible to vote.

You must be enrolled on the Council voters roll to be able to vote. You are eligible to vote in Council elections if you are:

  • 18 years of age or over at the time of voting; and
  • a resident in the Council area. You do not have to own a house or property to enrol to vote - tenants have those rights too.
  • on the council voters roll.
  • Ratepayer in Burnside

Owners of property who are not residents, including body corporates or groups, may also have entitlements to enrol to vote.

How do I get on the Council Voters Roll?

You will automatically appear on the Council voters roll and receive a postal ballot pack if you are already on the State electoral roll (House of Assembly Roll), which means you vote in State Government elections. However, if you have changed address recently and have not changed your enrolment details you will need to do this now! Fill out an enrolment or change of address form at any Post Office or Electoral Office or visit www.aec.gov.au to download a form.


If you are a landlord, business lessee or resident non-Australian citizen, you will no longer be automatically included on the roll. If you wish to vote in Council elections you are now required to enrol by completing an enrolment form.

Enrolment forms can be lodged any time before 8 August 2014.

Enrolment Forms

Further Information

For further information on recent changes to the Local Government (Elections) Act 1999, visit www.lga.sa.gov.au

If you are unsure whether you are on the Council voters roll, Contact Council's Rates Department on 8366 4207.