Rate Information

Rate in the Dollar

Rates for the current financial year of 2017/18 are:

  • Minimum - $829.00
  • Differential General Rate .002192 cents in the dollar for the following categories
    • Residential
    • Contiguous Residential
    • Commercial – Shop
    • Commercial – Office
    • Commercial – Other
    • Industrial – Light
    • Industrial – Other
    • Primary Production
    • Other
  • Differential General Rate .003288 cents in the dollar for category - Vacant Land
  • NRM Levy .0000965 cents in the dollar

Due Dates

Payment of rates can be made in advance at any time or by instalments due:

  • 1st instalment due 1 September 2017
  • 2nd instalment due 1 December 2017
  • 3rd instalment due 1 March 2018
  • 4th instalment due 1 June 2018

A separate notice will be sent thirty days before each instalment is due.

Late Payment

Your rates will be in arrears if they are not paid by the last day to pay. A fine of 2% will then be applied to the amount due. Every month thereafter interest (at the prescribed rate) will be charged on the total amount in arrears.

Your rates will be in arrears if they are not paid by the last day to pay. A fine of 2% will then be applied to the amount due. Every month thereafter interest (at the prescribed rate) will be charged on the total amount in arrears.

Council will consider applications for remission of fines/interest in certain extenuating circumstances. A request for wavier of fines/interest can be made by completing our Application for Remission of Fines and Interest.

Financial Hardship

Are you suffering genuine financial hardship? Please contact the Rates department on (08) 8366 4200 to discuss any of the following options:

  • Direct Debit payments
  • Alternative arrangements to pay regular fortnightly or monthly payments
  • Postponement of rates (evidence of hardship required)
  • Remission of rates (evidence of hardship required)
  • Discretionary rebate (rapid change or anomaly in valuation)

We welcome your queries before your rates fall into arrears. All enquiries are treated confidentially.

Council recognises that instances of ongoing financial hardship are experienced by some ratepayers. We will consider applications for rates remissions where ongoing hardship can be substantiated by approved financial counsellors.

Hardship Rate Relief Application Form(PDF, 152KB)


From 1 July 2015, the State Government has elected to replace these concessions with a single "cost-of-living payment" provided directly to those entitled. This payment may be used to offset Council rates.

To check eligibilty, contact the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Concessions Hotline 1800 307 758 or at www.sa.gov.au/concessions

Council Concession

You may be eligible for a concession on your Council Rates if your rates have increased by more than 12.5% for the current financial year. Please use the online Residential Rate Capping Application form to check your eligibility criteria and apply online, or contact the Rates department on (08) 8366 4200 for further information.

Postponement of Rates - Seniors

Ratepayers who hold a State Seniors Card (or who are eligible to hold a State Seniors Card and have applied for one) are able to apply to Council to postpone payment of rates on their principal place of residence. Postponed rates remain as a charge on the land and are not required to be repaid until the property is sold or disposed of. A minimum amount of $500, less any concession, is payable.

Information about the Postponement of Rates Scheme(PDF, 58KB)

Submit an Application for the Postponement of Rates for Seniors

Council Rebates

Certain persons/and or organisations may be eligible for a rebate, eg community groups, health and education organisations etc. Council rebates can only be granted under criteria specified in our legislation.

Our Rating Strategy and Policy & Discretionary Rebates of Rates Policy provides details of the mandatory and discretionary rebates available. Applications for rate rebates must be lodged by 1st September in each financial year. Please see the Rate Rebate Application Form(PDF, 323KB) for eligibility criteria or contact the Rates department on (08) 8366 4200 for further information.

Change of Address

If changing address or property ownership, you may continue to be liable for rates until your name is removed from our assessment record. Please advise any changes as quickly as possible by completing our online change of address form or email to burnside@burnside.sa.gov.au with all the details including your daytime telephone number.

Change of Name

Please download the Change of Name Form(PDF, 87KB) and lodge this application:

In Person: Civic Centre 401 Greenhill Road TUSMORE SA 5065

By Mail: City of Burnside, PO Box 9, GLENSIDE SA 5065

By Fax: (08) 8366 4299

By E-mail: burnside@burnside.sa.gov.au 


The capital value used by Council for your property is provided by the State Valuation Office.

This rate in the dollar is then applied to the capital value (which is the value provided to Council by the Valuer General) of each individual property. This determines the rates payable for each property for that particular year. If you do not agree with the valuation of your property you can object in writing to the Valuer General within 60 days after the date of service of the rate notice.

You can lodge your objection:

Online: Department of Planning and Infrastructure

In person: State Valuation Office, 101 Grenfell Street, Adelaide SA 5000

Mail : GPO Box 1534 ADELAIDE, SA 5001

Email: Isgobjections@sa.gov.au

Fax: (08) 8226 1428

Enquiries please phone: 1300 653 345

An objection must be received in writing in order for it to be considered.

Please note payment of Council rates cannot be withheld pending the outcome of an objection or a concession application.

Objection formOnline objection form

Objection to Land Use

Differential General Rates imposed by the Council are based on various Land Use Categories.  Should you have any reason to believe that the Land Use Category applied to your account is incorrect, you may lodge a written objection to Council outlining the grounds upon which your objection is based. Objections must be submitted to Council within 60 days of receiving this notice.

Rates are still due and payable by the due date even if an objection has been lodged. 

Copy of Rate Notices

Please note that copies of rate notices are available for a cost of hardcopy $14.00 or email $7.50. Please email your request to burnside@burnside.sa.gov.au with your payment details.

Vacant Land Construction Rebate

If you are about to build your new family home on land rated as ‘vacant’ for the current rating year and can demonstrate that building works have substantially commenced (the concrete footings have been poured) before 30 June, you may be eligible for a rate rebate. For further information please see Vacant Land Construction Rebate Application Form(PDF, 131KB) or contact Council on 8366 4207.