Dog Laws & Responsibilities
Dogs can be a great source of companionship and pleasure. However, dog ownership also involves responsibilities. Not only do you have responsibilities as an owner to make sure your dog is fed, cared for and exercised, but you also have responsibilities to your community in general to ensure that the dog is properly controlled and well behaved.
There are expiable offences of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 which Council Officers are authorised to enforce. As a dog owner in South Australia you are required to:
- Register your dog(s) at 3 months of age.
- Microchip your dog(s) by 12 weeks of age or at the point of sale.
- Desex your dog(s) by 6 months of age or 28 days after purchase by the owner for dogs born after 1 July 2018.
- Register your dog(s) on Dogs and Cats Online (DACO).
- Keep the dog from barking to the annoyance or nuisance of others.
- Pick up after your defecating dog(s) in a public place.
- A dog must not attack or harass a person, animal or bird.
- Supervise your dog(s) at all times in public places. Do not allow your dog(s) to wander unsupervised.
- Exercise your dog(s) on a chain, cord or leash not exceeding 2 metres in length unless exercised in our off leash parks/ reserves.
- Dogs in off leash parks/reserves must be exercised under effective control from their owners – by voice command On Lead & Off Lead Areas
The attachments below which are supplied by the Dog and Cat Management Board will help you understand dog ownership and responsibilities. You may also like to visit their very helpful Good Dog SA website for fact sheets and advice.
Dogs and Cats Online
Visit the Dogs and Cats Online portal for registration and annual registration payment from Sunday 1 July 2018.