Protecting Your Property
Seasonal checklist for protecting your property.
- Remove dead vegetation from around the home and prune lower limbs of trees.
- Obtain Council permit/permission to burn off garden waste, or dispose of the material through mulching.
- Ember-proof the home, eg check roof space for loose tiles and gaps and repair as necessary.
- Slash or mow long grass and remove cut material (unless it can rot down before summer).
- Remove weeds around sheds and fences.
- Cut back trees overhanging the roof.
- Remove fallen branches and other debris.
- Check and service all mechanical equipment, including grass cutters, water pumps, sprinkler systems and fire extinguishers.
- Remove leaves from gutters.
- Review and update your Bushfire Action Plan.
- Maintain a 20-metre fuel reduction zone around your home (greater if on a slope).
- Clear around trees.
- Remove leaves from the gutters.
- Slash stubble near sheds/buildings.
- Check reserve water supplies.
- Rehearse your Bushfire Action Plan with your family.
- Prepare evacuation kit.
- Ensure you have a portable battery-powered radio to hear bushfire warnings.
- Monitor fire restrictions.
- Remove undergrowth and dead vegetation.
- Seek Council permission for a burn off.
- Check for any fire hazards and remove.