Disposal Methods for Recyclable Items

Household Chemicals and Paint

Household chemicals and paint can be dropped to a metropolitan hazardous waste depot. These depots are funded by Green Industries SA.

The locations are available on the Green Industries SA websiteFor queries, please phone 8204 2051.


Most batteries can be recycled. 

  • The City of Burnside will accept some batteries for example, button, lithium and rechargeable batteries at the Customer Desk in the Civic Centre. City of Burnside will not accept large, lead based batteries (car/truck) at this facility.

Fluorescent light globes

A wide range of globes, bulbs, lights and fluorescent lights can now be recycled.  Drop off your end-of-life globes or tubes at any Mitre 10, Banner or True Value hardware store (domestic quantities only - commercial quantities will not be accepted), including:

  • Norwood Banner Mitre 10 (2 Fullarton Road, Norwood)
  • Glenunga Mitre 10 (499 Portrush Road, Glenunga)
  • Glynde Mitre 10 (8 Glynburn Road, Glynde)

Gas cylinders

Maxbilt Trading Co (30 Beulah Road, Norwood) will take gas bottles for recycling.  A fee of $3.00 per bottle applies.

Motor Oil

A valuable resource that can be recycled! Oil should be brought in a clean plastic container with a lid.  The original container is perfect - avoid using paint cans or other metal containers.  Both the oil and the plastic container will be recycled. Used motor oil can be brought to the following locations free of charge:

  • The Norwood, Payneham and St Peters Works Depot (30 Davis Road, Glynde) accepts oil, coolant and oil filters. Monday to Friday 7.30 am to 3.30 pm.
  • Campbelltown City Council (Newton Transfer Station, Virginia Street, Newton).

Further Information

For further enquiries please email Council at burnside@burnside.sa.gov.au or call 8366 4200.